Thursday, June 4, 2026

Go away, for I will not call out to your flock. اذْهَبِي فَلَا أنْدَهُ سَرْبَكِ‏.‏

"Nadh" means rebuke, and "sarb" refers to grazing livestock. In pre-Islamic times, a woman would be told, "Go away, for I will not call out to your flock," and this phrase was used to divorce her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The phrase "Go, for I will not call your flock" was a form of divorce used in pre-Islamic Arabia. Its literal meaning is: Go, for I will not herd your livestock or return them to you; that is, there is no longer any bond or relationship between us.
Because it is used to signify a complete and final break in the relationship, leaving the person to their own devices, the closest English equivalents are:
Go your own way.
We are through.
t's over between us.
, and be done with it.a
 set you free.
I set you free. (In the context of ending the relationship)
f we want a concise equivalent that conveys the intended meaning of the proverb, the best translation is:
Go your own way; we are through."
hat is: Go your own way; we are over.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
لنَّدْه‏:‏ الزجر، والسَّرْب‏:‏ المال الراعي، وكان يقال للمرأة في الجاهلية‏:‏ اذْهَبِي فلا أنْدَهُ سَرْبَكِ، فكانت تطلق بهذه اللفظة‏.‏

No comments:

Post a Comment

مميزة

Take it, even if it costs you Maria's earrings خذه ولو بقرطي مارية

خذه ولو بقرطي مارية هي، مارية بنت ظالم بن وهب، وأختها هند الهنود، امرأة حجر آكل المرار الكندي. قال أبو عبيد: هي أم ولد جفنة. قال حسان: أولا...