Saturday, August 29, 2026

abandoned the millet so that I would not need to quarrel with the sparrows خَلَّيْتُ عَنِ الجَاوَرْسِ لِئَلاَّ أحْتاجَ إِلىَ خصُومَةِ العَصَاِفيِر

خَلَّيْتُ عَنِ الجَاوَرْسِ لِئَلاَّ أحْتاجَ إِلىَ خصُومَةِ العَصَاِفيِر.
I abandoned the millet so that I would not need to quarrel with the sparrows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
خَلَّيْتُ عَنِ الجَاوَرْسِ لِئَلَّا أَحْتَاجَ إِلَى خُصُومَةِ العَصَافِيرِ
أي: تركتُ الشيء الذي أرغب فيه حتى لا أُضطر إلى الدخول في نزاع ومشقة مع من ينازعني عليه. فالجاورس طعام تحبه العصافير، والمعنى: تركتُ الزرع خوفًا من أن أظل في خصومة مع العصافير.
وأقرب مقابل إنجليزي:
“Let sleeping dogs lie.”
«دع الأمور الهادئة وشأنها.»
لكن الأقرب إلى فكرة ترك الشيء لتجنب النزاع:
“It’s not worth the trouble.”
«لا يستحق كل هذا العناء والمتاعب.»
وكذلك:
“Pick your battles.”
«اختر معاركك بعناية.»
والأخير هو الأقرب حكمةً إلى المثل العربي: لا تدخل في خصومة من أجل أمر لا يستحق ما سيترتب عليه من تعب ومشقة.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I left behind the vultures so that I would not need to quarrel with the birds.
That is: I left the thing I wanted so that I would not have to enter into conflict and hardship with those who disputed with me over it. Pears are a food that birds love, and the meaning is: I left the crops for fear that I would continue to be in conflict with the birds.
The closest English equivalent is:
“Let sleeping dogs lie.”
“Leave the quiet things alone.”
But what is closest to the idea of leaving something to avoid conflict:
“It's not worth the trouble.”
“It's not worth all this trouble and trouble.”
And also:
“Pick your battles.”
“Choose your battles carefully.”
The last is the wisdom closest to the Arab proverb: Do not enter into a dispute over a matter that is not worth the effort and hardship it will entail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

مميزة

abandoned the millet so that I would not need to quarrel with the sparrows خَلَّيْتُ عَنِ الجَاوَرْسِ لِئَلاَّ أحْتاجَ إِلىَ خصُومَةِ العَصَاِفيِر

خَلَّيْتُ عَنِ الجَاوَرْسِ لِئَلاَّ أحْتاجَ إِلىَ خصُومَةِ العَصَاِفيِر . I abandoned the millet so that I would not need to quarrel with t...